Rakhine violence leaves 71 dead

Local residents crowd into a truck as they flee an area close to heavy fighting that has broken out in Rathedaung township of northern Rakhine State in western Myanmar. (EPA Photo)

YANGON: Ethnic Rohingya militants in western Myanmar launched overnight attacks on more than two dozen police and border outposts, leaving 71 people dead, the government said on Friday, in a significant escalation of their armed struggle.

The dead included at least 12 members of the security forces and at least 59 insurgents, according to a statement from the office of State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi. The military and border police responded to the Thursday night attacks by launching “clearance operations”, it said.

A witness in Maungdaw township, ed by telephone, said soldiers entered her village at about 10am on Friday, burned homes and property, and shot dead at least 10 people.

The witness, who asked to be identified only by her nickname, Emmar, because of fear of retribution, said residents fled in many directions but mostly to a nearby mountain range. She said gunshots and explosions could be heard and smoke could still be seen on Friday evening.

A militant group, the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army, or Arsa, claimed responsibility for the overnight attacks on more than 25 locations, saying they were in defence of Muslim Rohingya communities that had suffered abuse at the hands of government forces. It issued its statement on Twitter on an account deemed legitimate by advocates of Rohingya rights.

The clashes were the worst since an attack by militants on three border posts killed nine policemen in October last year, setting off months of brutal counterinsurgency operations by Myanmar security forces against Rohingya communities in Rakhine state.

Human rights groups accused the army of carrying out massive human rights abuses including killing, rape and burning down more than 1,000 homes and other buildings.

The army’s abuses in turn fuelled further resentment toward the government among the Rohingya, most of whom are considered illegal immigrants from neighbouring Bangladesh without any of the civil rights of citizens. Arsa took advantage of the resentment by stepping up recruitment of members.

The new attacks seem likely to set off a new cycle of repression and resistance.

The Rohingya have long faced severe discrimination in Buddhist-majority Myanmar and were the targets of inter-communal violence in 2012 that killed hundreds and drove about 140,000 people — predominantly Rohingya — from their homes to camps for the internally displaced, where most remain.

According to the United Nations, more than 80,000 Rohingya have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh since last October.

Thursday night’s attacks began a few hours after a Rakhine Advisory Commission led by former United Nations secretary-general Kofi Annan submitted its final report and recommended that the government act quickly to improve economic development and social justice in Rakhine state to resolve violence.

Suu Kyi’s office said on its Facebook page that the attacks were intended to coincide with the release of Annan’s report.

Arsa also referred to the report, saying the army in recent weeks had stepped up activity in order to derail any attempt to implement the recommendations. It said it had tried to avoid conflict until army atrocities became intolerable and action was needed to defend Rohingya civilians.

The announcement from Suu Kyi’s office said 30 police outposts had been attacked. It said that in addition to the 12 dead security personnel, 11 people on the government side had been injured, three seriously. It said the attackers, some of whom were armed with machetes, had seized six guns.

The statement also said the attackers destroyed refugee camps and burned down homes.

One border guard policeman said two officers from his outpost at Taung Pasa village had been killed. “More than 150 Muslim attackers were surrounding our outpost with machetes and guns,” the officer, Htun Naing, said by phone.

The Rakhine Advisory Commission, established in August 2016 at Suu Kyi’s behest, said the situation in Rakhine state was becoming more precarious and required a sustained and coordinated effort by civilian and military authorities. The commission has six members from Myanmar and three foreigners, including Annan.

“Unless concerted action led by the government and aided by all sectors of the government and society is taken soon, we risk the return of another cycle of violence and radicalisation, which will further deepen the chronic poverty that afflicts Rakhine state,” Annan said at a news conference in Yangon to present the report.

Myanmar soldiers walk through a field outside Chain Khar Li, an ethnic Rakhine village close to fighting in Rathedaung township of northern Rakhine State in western Myanmar on Friday. (EPA Photo)

Leave a Comment